Popular English Surnames Can Lead to Credit Report Problems

What’s the most common last name in the United States? If you guessed Smith, you are correct. Nearly three million people in the country have that surname. The name of Smith originated in England, where over 600,000 people bear that moniker today. Other common English last names include Jones, Taylor, Brown, Williams, Wilson, Johnson, Davies, Patel, and Robinson. And, given the fact that many U.S. citizens have some British ancestry, English surnames are very common in this country.

With so many people bearing English surnames, it can sometimes be hard to tell people apart on paper — meaning that confusion can arise when it comes to official documents and records. Financial records often contain name-related mistakes. A credit report is one type of financial record where a mistake in a name can lead to problems. When someone’s last name is popular, that person can be the subject of a mixed credit file.

What are Mixed Credit Files?

A mixed credit file occurs when a credit reporting agency confuses two people’s financial information. The problem can arise when two individuals share the exact same or very similar name, or when a name is misspelled. A credit file mix-up may also result from a typo in a financial document or a Social Security number with an incorrect digit.

You should check your credit file to see whether it contains information that does not apply to you. If you have been confused with someone else and have a mixed file, the erroneous data may result in a denial of credit and a low credit score. A mixed credit file can have serious repercussions.

An Experienced Attorney Can Help

Credit reporting agencies are not known for taking quick action to fix mixed credit files. You may contact them about the problem and never receive any satisfaction. Attorney Adam Singer at the Credit Report Law Group knows how to handle credit file mix-ups and has experience going up against credit reporting agencies. He can help you obtain peace of mind and relief. Contact the Credit Report Law Group at 212-842-2428 or fill out this form.